Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Too sexy for the office?

Okay, so, after looking for suits to wear for my client presentation last week, I realized that new fashion and business attire can be confusing, especially for women my age.

Everything nowadays just seems to be soooo sexy. I just bought some pointy black stilletoes a few weeks ago, and many students on campus seem to wear shoes like these with their business attire. However, I wonder if we are take business attire too far. It's hard for a college student, because any magazine or television show portrays young female professionals as sexy in the office. I feel like we try to imitate this look, not realizing that we're not supposed to be looking like movie stars here.

I debated wearing my black stilletoes, simply because I see so many others wearing them, but in the end I figured I better go with what felt safe. Something a little more toned down. There are also so many new suits out now that seems to hug female curves a little too much, especially with the younger population. I just feel like there needs to be more guidance in this department, especially for us just starting out.

I've searched for information online and found a few sites. One is from career builder that hints at how dressing too sexy can work against you in the workplace. However, I think there needs to be something more updated available for us who try to keep things trendy, but not too trendy.

No comments: