Wednesday, May 2, 2007

For those just beginning....

I'd like to dedicate this entry to those just beginning their first four undergraduate years as I am ending mine. Looking back I realize that there are many things that I wish I had known before coming, so that they didn't hit me so unexpectedly. They basically involve learning about yourself and college life in general, so here's what I have for you newcomers:

1)Use professors to your advantage...
-Okay, so for the most part your professors are busy people, and that is probably an understatement, but if you take the time to talk to them it can work to your advantage. They have hundreds of students to grade, and making an effort to stand out by communicating with them lets them know that your care about their class. Without students, they would have no job, and throughout my experience here I have learned that most are happy to help. They can also become a great reference for the future.


2)Emphasize the material, not the grades...
-Sometimes I think the worst thing you can tell a teacher is..."hey, I really want an A in this class." Grant it, we all think it, but you're not doing yourself a favor here. If you are having trouble, talk to the professor about certain aspects of the material you are struggling with, and ways you can improve. Emphasize what you find interesting in their class. College is a little different from high school. Grades can be more subjective depending on certain classes. Sometimes you just have one paper and that's your only grade, so try and stand out in a good way.

3)Get your hands dirty...
-One of the things I regret is not getting involved. I waited very late to join activities and clubs that I realize I really enjoy now. Get out there. There are hundreds of things for everyone to become a part of, whether it's chess or religion. Join clubs related to your major. You will gain much more experience, which can help you out a little more in the real world. It's not all about your GPA, especially in a field like PR, where internships are essentially a requirement. Doing this can also make the adjustment to college a little easier.

4)Friends DO come and go...
-I think many students attend a certain college because they want to follow their friends, but this is a mistake in my opinion. You will learn that it's a fact of life, you're not always going to have the same friends. You meet so many new people in college, and sometimes you become friends for the semester, because you have the same classes, and then never speak again. It's a little weird getting used to, but that's just how it happens. Some friends that you spent all your time with in high school just aren't going to be there anymore. Maybe it's something you already know, but for me, this was a real shock.

5)Do the dorms, at least once...
-Okay, so they're cramped and smelly, and oftentimes really old, but I think it is a good experience, especially if you're a freshman. When you start you're in there together. It's a little comforting to see other people you don't know beginning this experience with you. I know many friends who wanted to live off campus their first year and ended up leaving because no one was living with them that motivated them to go to class. It's also statistically proven that those students who live on campus tend to do better in school.

6)Expect the time to fly...
-I know I sound like an old woman here, but if you felt like high school went by fast, brace yourself. I can't believe I'm about to graduate. Your life changes so much in college, so fast, and then you're done. All I can say is savor it, because it's an experience like no other. Try and work hard, but remember to come up for air and appreciate being a college student.

7)Everything's just not going to get done...
-This was something that I found very difficult to learn at first, but it's the truth. You can spend all day on the homework you will have in many of your classes, but it's important to remember that you need to balance things. Make sure you get done what needs to get done, but there are some things that you will have to prioritize, because there just aren't enough hours in the day to do everything in college. What's important is that you stay mentally, emotionally and physically stable while trying to tackle all of this, because it can definitely become overwhelming.

8)Think about your main objective...

-With everything going on (and there will be lots going on, trust me) it's important to remember why you're in college: the degree. There are going to be more parties than you can count on weekends, and it's up to you to be responsible with your new sense of independence. Nothing is wrong with hanging out with friends, or just enjoying yourself, but it's easy to let the time pass without remembering, hey, I've got work to do!

No comments: